Engagement Ring FAQ
In Switzerland we usually meet our clients where it is most convenient for them. We have different meeting spots in many Swiss cities. For our international clients we are happy to travel and meet them personally if requested. But we also offer remote advisory over video calls, phone or e-mail. All our rings can be shipped by a fully insured courier (Malca Amit) to any location.
Many people are not aware that diamonds and metals can indeed get damaged or the settings of the stones can loosen. Diamonds for example can chip or crack if they hit against a hard object.
We recommend the following:
- Don’t wear your ring while showering or bathing and avoid contact with lotion, perfume, hairspray, sun screen, cosmetics etc.
- Don’t wear your ring while cleaning, gardening, working out or hiking. Aggressive cleaning products, chlorinated and salt water could impact the color of the metals.
- We strongly advise against swimming with your ring. Cold water makes your finger shrink and you risk it to slip off your finger.
- Bring your ring to a jeweller once a year to get the settings checked. Daily use could loosen them.
- Clean your ring by letting it soak in lukewarm, soapy water. Brush it with a soft toothbrush, rinse it and dry it with a soft cloth. Do not clean your ring with any abrasives or acid solutions.
There are many options to buy diamonds online or through diamond dealers and it could seem like a very convenient and easy way to get a good deal. This being said, many of our clients experienced being more confused, however, after researching and visiting different diamond dealers, than to begin with. Looking at a pair of diamonds, for example, with exactly the same characteristics (4 C’s, as per the stones’ individual certificates), the prices varied significantly. An aspect easily overseen is that different types of laboratory certificates exist (e.g. GIA, IGA, …). Depending on the certificate, characteristics such as color could have the same letter grading (e.g. D, E, F, etc.), but not the same color (an “I” from one lab does not have to have the same color as an “I” from another lab). Helping you reach true comparability, supporting you beyond the 4 C’s and eventually enabling you to make a decision, is where we come in.
An engagement ring contains many different elements and the design is very interconnected with the shape, size and color of your center stone.
To give you an indication of how many details can be adapted and chosen you will see below all possible elements involving an engagement ring:
For example the choice of the setting (solitaire, with side stones or halo) depends on the shape and size of the center stone. At the same time, the color of the center stone should be chosen in consideration of the metal of the future ring. Additionally, different metal colors can be combined (the prongs can have a different color than the shank of the ring). Because there are sheer endless possibilities, we are here to help you make the perfect combination of all these details to create the best possible engagement ring.
Prices of rings vary very much and depend on what type of center stone, metal and design you are looking for. With a budget of ca. USD 30’000 you could create a diamond solitaire ring with around 2 carats (GIA certificate, brilliant cut, xxx excellent cut, H colour, VS2). This is about half of what you would spend at a high street jeweller. By looking for different diamond characteristics and designs we can help you optimise the final price.
Besides “I made this for you” being much more romantic than “I bought this for you”, there a many reasons to use our service to create one of the most significant rings of your life:
- You will get the maximum out of your budget, because we don’t have a fix stock of gems and can directly access diamond suppliers and skip middlemen within the supply chain of gemstones.
- You have the opportunity to let us find the perfect center stone for your significant other, instead of choosing from a limited selection.
- During the whole process we want to be your sounding board in helping finding out what might suit your significant other and what is technically feasible (e.g. smaller stones lend themselves to a higher setting). Because we are diamond experts, designers and goldsmiths at the same time, we have well rounded experience in all key elements surrounding an engagement ring.
In Switzerland we usually meet our clients where it is most convenient for them. We have different meeting spots in many Swiss cities. For our international clients we are happy to travel and meet them personally, if requested. But we also offer remote advisory over video calls, phone or e-mail. All our jewellery can be shipped by a fully insured courier (Malca Amit) to any location.
Gems and diamond jewellery are sensitive to external influences. Even diamonds can chip or crack if they hit against a hard object.
Each type of gem demand a different type of care, but we generally recommend the following:
- Don’t wear your jewellery while showering or bathing and avoid contact with lotion, perfume, hairspray, sun screen, cosmetics etc.
- Don’t wear your jewellery while cleaning, gardening, working out or hiking. Aggressive cleaning products, chlorinated and salt water could impact the color of the metals and harm the gem stones.
- We strongly advise against swimming with your jewellery. Cold water makes your finger shrink and you risk it to lose rings and chlorinated water is harmful for fine jewellery.
- If it is a piece you wear regularly, bring it to a jeweller once a year to get the settings checked. Daily use could loosen them.
Each jewellery will come with a specific care instruction.
It very much depends on what you are looking for and how fast you can make decisions. It could take just a few weeks or several months if your looking for a rare gem. Once the gems have been sourced and you have decided for a design, we can estimate more accurately when the jewellery can be delivered.
Besides “I made this” being much more nicer than “I bought this”, there a many reasons to use our service to create uniq jewellery pieces:
- You will get the maximum out of your budget, because we don’t have a fix stock of gems or jewellery and we can directly access gem suppliers and skip middlemen within the supply chain of gemstones.
- You have the opportunity to let us create a piece of jewellery that has never been made or that you always wanted to have, instead of choosing from a “ready to wear” selection.
- During the whole process we want to be your sounding board in helping finding out what might suit you and what is technically feasible. Because we are gem and diamond experts, designers and goldsmiths at the same time, we have well rounded experience in all key elements surrounding any type of jewellery.
Conflict diamonds, also called blood diamonds, are diamonds sold by rebel and terrorist groups to fund armed conflicts and rebellions against legitimate governments. By working only with reputable diamond companies Spheni Switzerland KlG does its best to avoid selling any diamonds from conflict areas such as Sierra Leone, Angola, Liberia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Ivory Coast.
Diamonds can come in wide spectrum of colours and are called fancy coloured diamonds when they are not considered as white. Red, green, purple and orange are one of the rarest colours, closely followed by pink and blue. Other colours such as yellow, brown, black and grey are enjoying increasing popularity thanks to their famous carriers. Carry Bradshaw received a black diamond ring from Mr. Big in the show “Sex and the City” and celebrities such as Adele and Jennifer Lopez have been seen with yellow diamond rings, to only name some examples.
Any other shape than a round brilliant is called a fancy shape diamond. They are a beautiful option to help you create a more unique design.
Fancy shape diamonds can be segmented into different types, from which many variations can be created:
Round-Edge Fancies: Oval, Pear, Marquise and Heart
Step Cut Fancies: Emerald cut, Asscher, Carre, Baguette and Trapezoid.
Modified Cut Fancies: Princess, Cushion and Radiant.
Depending on the shape, the light is reflected in a different way, changing the brilliance of your ring. In order to make the characteristics of a fancy shape have a positive impact into your ring’s look, it is very important to choose the right proportion of the gemstone.
Bellow you will see an example of two pear shaped gems with different proportions
Due to its proportions, the right one looks slightly more elongated than the left one:
There are many characteristics beyond the 4Cs that are almost blind to the naked eye, especially for untrained people. Diamond Fluorescence is one of those features that can change the price slightly without reducing the diamonds overall quality. The effect of fluorescence depends on the colour grade in combination with the fluorescence grade (none, faint, medium, strong, very strong) of the diamond. Fluorescence can have a positive impact on some type of diamonds or a negative one that could affect its clarity and even make it look milky or cloudy. In order to combine the characteristics perfectly, it is very important to work with an advisor you trust.
The four C’s are the most common characteristics to describe a diamonds quality, namely Carat (weight), Color, Cut and Clarity. There are many other factors that can influence a diamond’s quality and its value and depending on the certificate laboratory, the characteristics might differ from one lab to the another.